WordPress is one of the most versatile CMS available. However, its versatility is because of the wide range of plugins, themes and widgets. These can be combined to make a website that has the exact functions you need for your business. For example, if you want to collect reviews from other websites, there are WordPress plugins for that. Or if you want to have a community on your website, there are plugins for that too.
Not All WordPress Plugins Are Equal
There are thousands of WordPress plugins available, but not all of them are created equal. There can be several problems with some. For instance, they might not offer the functionality that others do or they might interfere with another function. Knowing the difference can be challenging. Some plugins look good on the sales page, but aren’t offering the service you need. Therefore, you need to get recommendations.
That’s what this list is about, it will detail the best WordPress plugins and why they’re on the list. So, what are the top WordPress plugins?
Yoast is one of the top SEO apps that you can have for any WordPress website, and it is certainly one that you need to consider when it comes to helping your website rank at the top of Google and other sites.
Many website review sites agree that this is one of the best SEO WordPress plugins. It also has a significant number of downloads for the app. Yoast has a lot of features that can help you rank highly and it works across your site. For instance, on your pages/posts, you can create custom titles, meta data, URLs and more using the software.
The plugin will also tell you what you need to improve your site’s SEO potential. For instance, it will tell you when you need more content on your website or when you need to reduce the number of keywords within a page. You can also have lots of criteria on your main meta title changed to be more effective. There are free and premium versions of Yoast available.
The free version is limited on the number of keywords you can use on each page. Most pages should have two or three keywords, but the basic, free version only allows for one keyword per page.
The premium version also allows you to preview posts on Facebook, Twitter and Google. Finally, the premium version gives link suggestions. Internal links are very important when it comes to your SEO, so this app can help you rank better online.
Yoast SEO Highlights:
- Get a list of the top internal pages you can link to on your site.
- Look and act upon a list of recommendations for improving your page’s SEO.
- Change everything from the URL to the meta description of pages.
- Free and premium versions of the plugin.
Calendarize it! for WordPress
Calendarize.it is a great option when it comes to having a calendar on your WordPress website. A calendar offers your brand a chance to showcase important dates for your brand, like when appointments are available, when customers can make last orders for the month or when new products/events are going live.
Calendarize.it can offer you this functionality in a smooth user interface. It is an attractive plugin that helps you keep the page aesthetically pleasing. And there are lots of features that make it a great choice for nearly all businesses. For instance, there’s support for recurring events. This could be the weekly live DJ at your bar, or monthly fun-run that your charity organizes.
The plugin also has a sidebar widget that promotes your events and the calendar on the side of any page/post. The plugin also integrates with Google Map, perfect for event companies that want to display where their brand will be in the next few weeks that might attract more foot traffic to that event. All events can have their own custom coloring, making it easier for customers to distinguish between events.
Finally, you can custom taxonomies for the events that allow users on your website to filter out the events that they don’t want.
Calendarize it! for WordPress Highlights:
- Optimized for the Guttenberg WordPress update that uses blocks to create pages/posts.
- There are 39 elements to help you build the perfect calendar for your website and each page.
- Provides numerous widgets that allow you to build a website that will promote your events.
- Easy to use and install.
WP-Members Membership Plugin
WP Members is a free plugin that allows you to setup a membership website where your content can be locked so only those who are subscribed to your website through a members area can see your content. This can be a great option if you want to limit those seeing your content.
The main functions of the plugin restrict access to all posts, however this can be changed with the simple settings dashboard and you can allow some pages or posts to be unblocked without too much trouble. There are a lot of features on this basic membership plugin that you can use which can help you get the most out of your website. For instance, you can take payments via PayPal and other methods for membership fees. Or you can integrate your members’ emails with MailChimp for better email marketing campaigns.
Some of these features are not free and you will need to pay for the extensions. However, they can be worth the cost, considering the core programming is free. The plugin is also good at spotting and preventing spam/bot users from registering. This is done through different security measures including a honeypot option. You can also showcase unique menus that only registered members can see.
WP-Members Membership Plugin Highlights:
- An easy-to-use entry point for new WordPress users who can use this to create a membership site.
- Can be integrated with many premium services including MailChimp, PayPal and more.
- Create custom menus for your website’s users.
- Lots of extensions for you to use that can help you build a powerful membership site.
When you operate a website that can be relevant to internet users across the world, or perhaps across an area that has multiple languages, then you need to use a translation plugin. There are numerous options available across the world.
This plugin has lots of different options for you to create, edit and buy translations for your website. The plugin has a unique dashboard to help you achieve it all and turn your single language website into a multilingual website. And there is no need to know any code or have developer skills. And the site allows you to work in numerous languages without impacting on the SEO friendliness of your website.
The plugin works with Google’s best practices framework and has a clean code that helps with page speed. The app also has more than 60 languages that it can help with as standard and you can use the theme with most themes and plugins that you will find on WordPress sites.
- A free app that allows you to edit or buy translations for your website.
- Clean coding to help with SEO.
- Has 60 languages already included with the plugin.
- No need to know any code or developer skills to get the plugin to work.
FileBird – WordPress Media Library Folders & File Manager
FileBird is a media management plugin to help you organize your WordPress media library. It allows you to drag and drop files and folders.
All the folders are virtual so that it won’t break the permalinks of the files no matter where you put them in.
It is a plug and play setup, meaning after activating, you can start using it without any further configuration. This plugin is extremely helpful for media-rich websites like photographers’ portfolio, cuisines, fashion blogs, and ecommerce stores.
With the smart context menu, you can right-click to interact with your folders:
- Create new folder
- Copy/Paste folder
- Rename a folder
- Download the folder’s media in a ZIP file
- Set startup folder: to come back to your previous task quickly
- Advanced sort functions: to easily filter files and folders
- Gutenberg block: to insert a good-looking image gallery and auto-update it
- Document gallery: to create a document gallery with appealing thumbnails
- User-based folders: to allow each user to create their own folder structure
- Very easy to use
The Divi Builder is a very popular drag and drop page builder that allows you to turn your basic website design or WordPress theme into a fantastic design page. The builder has been built specifically for the Divi theme; however, you’ll find that Divi Builder can work with numerous WordPress themes.
There are powerful elements that can help you add functionality and elements to your site for a more rounded website. The builder also has some custom CSS elements that allow you to add customization to the page that are unique and significant.
Divi Builder Highlights:
- More than 46 content modules included to customize the look of your website.
- You can duplicate any element you want on your website.
- The ability to export and import data into any other site, great for those who manage multiple WordPress websites.
- Works with most WordPress themes with ease and is free with the Divi theme.
Exit Intent Popup WordPress Plugin
This exit intent plugin is a great way for you to improve conversions on your website. It is an exit intent popup plugin that displays a popup when someone takes an action that will make them leave your website. Within the popup you can display lots of information including offers, collect sign-ups and collect feedback from the customer. This can help you generate you returning traffic which is good for SEO and statistics on your website.
The popup can help you maximize the number of visitors who are on your website. In addition, you can convert those who haven’t completed a transaction yet by offering them a discount or free shipping in order to get the customer to complete the transaction. You can create as many popups as you want with this popup, making it a great option for those that want to run different campaigns on different platforms.
Exit Intent Popup WordPress Plugin Highlights:
- Increase the number of subscribers on your mailing list.
- Collect feedback from your customers as part of a survey to help you improve your site/brand.
- Uses a cookie so it doesn’t annoy repeat visitors.
- Can have 12 auto-responders to maximize marketing opportunities.
This is one of the most popular popup options available for WordPress because of the ease-of-use and the effectiveness of the plugin. The popup plugin allows you to subscribe visitors to your website as they’re visiting so you can market to them at a later date. This can be done on a time delay or as the customer is exiting your website.
The popup plugin integrates with lots of different mailing systems, such as MailChimp, GetResponse, ConvertKit and more. All operations of the plugin are compliant with GDPR regulations, keeping you safe from being fined. And when designing your email, you can use a drag and drop builder to help you get the popup design branded to your company.
The plugin works with other types of plugins, such as WPML plugins and WooCommerce.
Ninja Popups Highlights:
- A responsive plugin that will work across devices with ease.
- Can specify which pages will be targeted.
- Works with loads of different plugins such as eCommerce and social media.
- Can be integrated with email marketing software programs.
WP Advanced Image Lazy Load-SEO Friendly Plugin
WP Advanced Image Lazy Load plugin allows you to save on page speed, allowing you to rank higher on Google and other search engines and improve the experiences of visitors on your website. This plugin works on your website, regardless of the type of images you’ve got on your website, whether they’re in a portfolio, gallery or something else.
The lazy load function prevents the loading of the images until the user on your website scrolls down to the second where the website is. This allows you to have a high quality of image without having to slow down your website.
The plugin is optimized for all search engines, allowing you to keep your rank or even improve it. This also means that you can improve traffic to your site. The more people that are visiting your site online, the more revenue you can potentially earn. The plugin is also available in French, so you can translate all the content on your website.
WP Advanced Image Lazy Load Plugin Highlights:
- Customize how your images are loaded on your website.
- Can enable/disable cascading levels.
- Is compatible with all browsers and devices.
- Is available in French as well.
CSS3 Responsive WordPress Compare Pricing Tables
Pricing tables are a great way to showcase prices for services or different variants of a product on your website. Designing your own pricing table on WordPress can be very difficult, which is why you might want to use a WordPress pricing table plugin. This one, is a great option for many WordPress website owners.
The plugin allows you to build an aesthetically pleasing pricing table on your site that allows customers to compare products. The tables are all responsive, so will look good on any browser or device. You can also have an unlimited number of rows and columns; so there are lots of possibilities for your pricing tables.
Customization is is easy with this pricing table plugin. There are 20 color options, two main styles, hover animations and active sliding columns. You can also add icons, ribbons and other elements to make the pricing table more detailed and informative. You can create any table manually, entering the data you want or import the correct data from other file formats.
There are also preconfigured templates that can be used. To add a table to any page or post on your site, you can use a shortcode from the table design.
CSS Responsive WordPress Compare Pricing Tables Highlights:
- There are 20 predesigned pricing tables you can use as soon as you install the plugin.
- Responsive design, so it can be used on any browser or device.
- There are more than 60 different ribbons that can be added to any column.
- Use as many times on your website as you want.
WP Subscribe Pro
The key to being successful online is having a large mailing list. To do this, you need to subscribe audiences to a list. The more on your list, the more profitable a campaign can be; however, generally speaking the average list will earn $38 for every $1 spent. And this plugin is one that can help you build a mailing list.
This plugin allows you to add an opt-in form to your website that can trigger on several different actions. For instance, you can have the popup activate based on arrival or on a time delay. The design of popups is easy and the whole system is very simple. Even those with no experience will find this plugin very easy to use.
WP Subscribe Pro Highlights:
- Is compatible will all SEO and caching plugins. This can help you be discovered easier on search engines and stops your site from becoming slow.
- Can connect with any major email marketing program, including MailChimp, MailerLite and GetResponse.
- Can get lifetime support and updates from the developers.
- Easy to install and use.
If you are monetizing your site with ads then WP AdCenter is the best options out there. With AdCenter you have full control of ads on your website.
You can show ads from different ad networks like Google AdSense, Amazon, etc. You can also rotate ads and look at different placements options to test which is helping you maximize your revenue.
If your site gets global audience, then you can show ads to users based on their geography.
WP AdCenter Highlights:
- Display responsive ads anywhere on your WordPress website using a Gutenberg block and simple shortcodes.
- Display banner image ads.
- Connect to your AdSense Account and load ads directly from your WordPress.
- Create unlimited ad-zones to display single or multiple ads.
Final Word: Top 12 WordPress Plugins
When it comes to your WordPress website, you want to make sure that you can add the functionality you need for it to work like you want. There are numerous plugins that you can add to a site, with the average WordPress website having between 10 and 20 plugins. Above are some of the top WordPress plugins for your website.
If you want to know what plugins are being used on another WordPress website, then you can use this WordPress theme and plugin detector.